THE AMERICAN WEST (mostly): Fact and Fiction (mostly fiction)





"NOBODY GETS TO BE A COWBOY FOREVER." -- Chet Rollins (Jack Palance) in MONTE WALSH (NG, 1970)

Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 5, 2013

THEREBY HANGS A TAIL by Spencer Quinn


I have read a book narrated by a horse (Robert E. Lee's Traveler), a cat (Sneaky Pie Brown), and now a dog (Chet). The horse is a much better storyteller. Of course he did have an unfair advantage, being present at the biggest battles of the Civil War.

I got suckered into this book by its dust jacket which has a shot of Monument Valley, one of my favorite locations. The story does take place in a valley, but it is not Monument but only a generic valley called the Valley. And it was only after I started reading that I realized that a dog was going to be the narrator.

It really is true that you can't judge a book by its cover. So why do I keep trying? 

No comments:

Post a Comment